Saturday, May 16, 2009

Thing 34

Been at it all morning. It seems the more computer literate I try to get, the more illiterate I become. Never giving up, here are some of the "things" I've tried my hand at today...

Thing 34 -- Is This Our competition? Online Answer Sites takes you to distancedegrees.com, a very interesting site with the heading: Lose Your Wikipedia Crutch: 100 Places to Go for Good Answers Online. Scouting out six or or, I found only two to be outstanding and something to pass on to library patrons. These were ibiblio.org -- a "higher learning" database in which I lost myself for nearly an hour, and scholarpedia.org, which, according to its intro is "...similar to Wikipedia with some major differences. Each article is written and edited by an expert in the field, and all articles must be approved before they become part of the site, helping to ensure the information you get is accurate." I find too many students rely on Wikipedia and it's iffy information.

I also had time to look at some answer sites, my favorite of which is askville.amazon.com -- just click on a subject area to peruse the questions about, oh say Arts and Crafts. The Qs & As are really fun and interesting.

That's all for today. Looking forward to the next session, and more free time to go back to these favorite sites.

No comments: